The time required to link the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with the Aadhaar card was extended by the government on Tuesday for three months, to 30 June 2023. Just before the current deadline, which was set to expire on March 31, of this year, was to end, it was decided to give taxpayers more time to connect their PAN with their Aadhaar.
By the end of March 2023, the Income Tax Department had previously made it obligatory to link PAN to Aadhaar cards. For taxpayers to determine whether their PAN is connected to their Aadhaar, the I-T agency has also provided links on its website.
If a taxpayer doesn’t do this by June 30th, their PAN will expire and they won’t be able to submit income tax returns, use several banking services, or trade on the stock market.
Here’s how to check the Aadhar-PAN card link status online.
- Visit the Income Tax e-filing Portal at https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal.
- Click Quick Links, then Link Aadhaar Status, from the site.
- Now you will see two fields where the taxpayer needs to enter PAN and Aadhaar numbers
- After that, a pop-up notification will appear.
- If Aadhaar and PAN are linked, the message will say – Your PAN is already linked to the given Aadhaar.
- If your PAN and Aadhaar are not linked, a message will be on your screen saying – PAN not linked with Aadhaar. Please click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ to link your Aadhaar with your PAN.
- The user will see the statement Your Aadhaar-PAN linking request has been sent to UIDAI for validation if the Aadhaar-PAN link is active. Please visit the ‘Link Aadhaar Status’ link on the homepage later to verify the status.
To check your documents’ status via SMS, the taxpayer will need to send an SMS to 567678 or 56161. If your Aadhaar card is linked with PAN, the following message will be received – Aadhaar is already associated with PAN in the ITD database. Thank you for using our services.
However, if it’s not linked, the taxpayer will be told – Aadhaar is not associated with PAN (number) in the ITD database. Thank you for using our services.