According to a top Biden administration official, the US is “shocked and horrified” by the video of a severe attack on two women in Manipur and supports the government’s attempts to pursue justice for them.
On July 19, the video that appeared to show two women being paraded naked and assaulted by a group of men on May 4 in the Kangpokpi district went viral, drawing widespread criticism across the nation.
“The footage of this brutal attack on two ladies in Manipur shocked and frightened us. Vedant Patel, the deputy spokesperson for the State Department, responded to a query from reporters during his daily press conference by saying, “We convey our sincere sympathies to the survivors of this act of gender-based violence and support the Indian Government’s efforts to pursue justice for them.
According to Patel, Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated that such assault against women is deplorable in any civilised society.
As we’ve already said, we support a peaceful, all-inclusive end to the violence in Manipur and urge the government to meet humanitarian needs and safeguard the lives and property of all groups.
Prime Minister Modi last week voiced his sadness and rage over the tragedy in his first public statements, saying it had embarrassed 140 crore Indians. He also said that those responsible would not be spared, despite the Congress’s criticism that his words were “too little, too late.”
Since May 3, when a ‘Tribal Solidarity March’ was held in the hill areas to protest against the Meitei community’s quest for Scheduled Tribe (ST) status, more than 160 people have died and several others have been injured as a result of ethnic violence in the state.